If you haven’t updated your resume in a while, it can be difficult to know where to start. What should you include on your resume and what should you be sure to omit? Well you’re in luck: We’ve put together some basic tips to make your resume stand out to recruiters and additionally, what should be avoided.
What makes a resume stand out to a recruiter?
- Keep it neat! Concise descriptions paired with eye catching bullet points. This should be easy to read, employers shouldn’t have to dig to figure out previous work history. Be specific!
- Chronologically list dates with most recent job experience listed first. Employers like to see stability rather than just hopping from job to job.
- Include some sort of overview to help determine what you are looking for in a role. This way there no time wasted on either side.
What to avoid on a resume?
- Too much information- remember resumes should never be more than 2 pages long, ideally stick to one page.
- Don’t include jobs that you had long ago that are unrelated to your desired field.
- Avoid listing soft skills unless it is directly relevant to the job.
Just remember during the interview process that you should always make responses relevant to the position you’re interviewing for. Make sure to express enthusiasm about the prospective role and never forget to make eye contact. It is always a good idea to do research on the company’s history and values. This will prepare you to ask the interviewer engaging questions to separate yourself from other candidates. Last but not least, follow up! Be sure to thank the interviewer for their time, this is an excellent opportunity to reinforce that you’re a perfect fit for the role.
- Sterling Wins ClearlyRated’s 2020 Best of Staffing Client and Talent Diamond Awards for Service Excellence February 12, 2020
- GSC’s Solidworks Premier Event September 30, 2019
- Celebrating 50 years of Engineering, Automation, Innovation June 21, 2019
- Sterling Internships make a difference June 3, 2019
- Does your resume shout “Hire me”? May 24, 2019